Monday, January 28, 2008

Cloverfield...

More than any other movie of recent memory, Cloverfield has become an internet sensation. I've been following and anticipating this one for a while, and last night my Brother and I went to check it out.

It was cool. The movie starts slowly by introducing a bunch of people who I had no sympathy for. I was happy when the monster finally attacked and the action got underway. The tension of the First person perspective in the midst of a giant monster attack was well played out. I really liked how they didn't show too much of the monster(s), which also gave the movie a scary edge reminiscent of the first Alien movie. In that way, I think that this film was able to be a bit more interesting than any of the “Big Monster” film we have had in the past while

By the end, I found the characters a bit more appealing. In retrospect, though I think that the lack of likable characters ended up being one of the things that helped the movie rise above the standard “Man in a Suit” B-Movie expectations. I'll try to explain....

Any movie that is about an attack on NYC by almost anything in this day and age is bound to reference 9-11 to us. The imagery is burned in for all of us. In that respect, Cloverfield is blatantly obvious. Panicked citizens watch helplessly from the top of a building as explosions are seen in the distance, then react with horror as one of the City's monuments is defaced. Burning paper rains form the sky, and buildings collapse sending clouds of smoke down the streets, blocking out the light and covering everyone in ash and dirt.

Not so obvious is the effect on the characters. In the beginning of the film we are introduced to a group of self absorbed young professionals and wannabe actors who do little to gain our sympathy. Rob is going to Japan for some big job, and he treats Beth like shit. So what right. It Happens. Marlena can't be bothered to look up from texting on her cell phone to acknowledge the cameraman known as Hud and offer even the slightest good wishes to the departing Rob. All in all they come across as self absorbed, self centred, spoiled brats.

But, once the Monster attacks they begin to move together with an unspoken pact. Selflessly throwing themselves into harms way to help the people they barely acknowledged at the beginning of the film. In bad times, even they were able to step up. Much like what happened in New York in 2001. It's this change in people that in the end had Cloverfield sticking around in my head a bit longer then it might have otherwise. I went in expecting a Monster to attack and break shit. Gladly, I got a bit more. Gladly, the monster also busted enough shit to make it fun, and the perspective of watching it from the ground, while it was happening was a fun twist.

I'm not sure that I will ever want to watch this movie again, as the gimmick and the freshness of the perspective is what makes it so intense. I'm actually quite surprised that I am still thinking about the film, and, that this is the first film I have blogged.

Man this Blog is getting weird on me...

No comments: